Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Forgive me for believing the lies of Self-Sufficiency

I cried yesterday. I cried because God touched me in some areas of my life that I didn't know I was fallen in. I was reading in Rick Joyner's book, "50 Days for a Firm Foundation," and he makes two statements that hit me "It is the ultimate human arrogance for us to think that we can understand God" and... "Profound pride causes us to think that we can fix ourselves."

These two phrases got me thinking about how much I felt I could understand. I believed all kinds of lies that I didn't even know that I believed.

Here are some of the lies my heart believed:

1) I don't need others
2) I can fix myself
3) I have to do everything by myself
4) I haven't learned anything from my parents
5) I have taught myself everything
6) I could learn any skill by putting my "mind" to it
7) I am self-sufficient and independent
8) I could stop any job at any time because I had the giftings for whatever
9) I didn't need my bosses
10) I can learn from others for the sake of making it my own gifting

You want to talk about arrogance. That is arrogance in its purest form. How disgusting is that? Paul says "What a wretched man that I am." "I am chief among sinners." Now I know more of what he was talking about. "He must increase, I must decrease."

God, forgive me for believing in the lies of self-sufficiency and for the sin of pride. You alone are worthy. Scripture says I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. The focus is on you God, not on me. Forgive me for taking my focus off of you and putting it onto me. God, we need help from you to know anything accurately. Thank you God for bringing others into my life. Thank you for opening my eyes to know that I need others. Thank you God for refining our minds so that we can see how much we thrive off of each other.

Friends, I need you. My words have sometimes come off as arrogant and for that I am very sorry. If I have ever made you feel rejected, I am sorry. If I have ever made you feel not needed or not important, I am sorry. If you ever hear my arrogant words, call me on it. If you ever hear that self-sufficiency in my voice, call me on it. Help me because I do not see my own stuff.

God works through the vine, through the cluster. It is through each other that our purposes are made known. It is through each other that His glory is magnified. It is through each other that our needs are met. It is through each other that we are sharpened. We need each other. To say that we need God and not need each other is a lie. It means that we are saying we don't really need God. To say that we love God and not each other means we don't really love God.

Our God is an awesome God! Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment